OK, before you go, “Eew, that sounds disgusting,” hear me out. These aren’t chocolate brownies with orange indiscriminately tossed in ‘cause that probably could be disgusting. Unless … Oh, but I digress. These are brownies made with orange instead of chocolate. They are moist and dense and buttery and orange-y (is that a word?). Oh, and they’re topped with orange cream cheese frosting. Do I have your attention now?
This recipe comes from Paula Deen.
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure orange extract
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
Preheat your oven to 350°. Grease a 13×9 pan and set aside.
Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes, or until light golden brown and set. Cool.
The orange cream cheese frosting
- 8 ounces of cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- 16 oz. confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
In a large mixing bowl, whip the butter and cream cheese together until fluffy. Gradually beat in the confectioners’ sugar until it is smooth. Beat in the orange zest and juice. Spread over the brownies.